Skip to main content
x

Pescara

Crossed by the river of the same name, Pescara is a modern city bordering the Adriatic Sea. It arises from the union (in 1927) of two towns (Castellammare Adriatico and Pescara), formerly located on the opposite banks of a river.

A dynamic and contemporary city, Pescara is the reference point for commerce and services in Abruzzo. Moreover, its broad and equipped coast has numerous bathing establishments and restaurants by the sea and a long cycle path. But Pescara is very popular, not only during the summer season.

It was the birthplace of the patriot Gabriele Manthonè (1764-1799) and the poet Gabriele D’Annunzio (1863-1938). Furthermore, interesting archaeological finds have come to light in its territory, including a Neolithic village under the Orlando Hill, dating back approximately 6000 years ago.

At the time of the Roman Empire it took the name of "Ostia Aterni", being even then a center of commerce and trading with Adriatic and Dalmatian towns across the sea. In the early Middle Ages, due to the abundance of fish in its waters it was called "Piscaria", then turned into Pescara.

A modern city in terms of urban and architectural design, too. Pescara has recently been called the city of the two Bridges, the Sea Bridge and the Flaiano Bridge, both renowned for their original skyline. Opened in 2009, the Sea Bridge has become a true symbol of the city: with a length of 466 meters, it is the largest cycle-pedestrian bridge in Italy.

The Ennio Flaiano Bridge is the last and imposing infrastructure created in Pescara to connect the two banks of the river, intended for vehicular and cycle-pedestrian transit.

Of artistic interest is the Carrara marble fountain "La Nave" (The Ship), a work created in 1986 by the sculptor Pietro Cascella, born in Pescara. The fountain draws its inspiration from the great maritime tradition of Pescara, but it also evokes the convicts of the Bagno Borbonico (The Bourbon fortress) used as rowers on Spanish ships until 1859.

Moreover, a must-see work of art is the large canvas "La Figlia di Iorio" painted by Francesco Paolo Michetti and preserved in the Provincial Government Council Hall.

To find out more: www.pescaraurbanemotion.com

 

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.4617902, 14.2160898

The river Pescara is the second largest river in Italy that flows into the Adriatic, after the river Po. The total length from the Aterno springs to the sea is 145 km and crosses the Abruzzo from west to east. The river Pescara comes from the homonymous source upstream of Popoli. And after a short journey, at the confluence of the river Aterno and Sagittario, it receives its waters and takes th

In 1895 the City Administration donated to the artist Basilio Cascella an extensive plot of land, which became the school of graphic design forge of many artists.

Important ethnographic collection including the costumes of various towns of Abruzzo, products of artistic craftsmanship, including ceramics of Castelli, ex-voto, tools and tools for domestic use and for the work of sheep-farming.

The MediaMuseum is not simply a collection of memory finds, but a highly suggestive multimedia place, able to link the past and present with the future of the audiovisual image.

The Museum and Documentation Centre of the Franciscan Order in Abruzzo and Molise (Order of Friars Minor Conventual) is located in the fortress of the Castle of Monteodorisio (intended as an ancient village surrounded by walls) dating back to the 11th century. rebuilt in the fifteenth century. and adapted to stately residence in the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries.

The first nucleus of the Museum of the Sea was born more than fifty years ago thanks to the work of Guglielmo Pepe, then director of the Fish Market in Pescara. The collection has been gradually enriched in the conservation of a large number of fish specimens, shells, fossils and fishing gear, up to constitute a rich and interesting collection since 1949.

The museum of modern art "Vittoria Colonna" in Pescara, inaugurated with the exhibition dedicated to Chagall, is housed in an architectural complex originally designed by the architect Eugenio Montuori in the 50s, and now completely renovated and technologically adapted to the new exhibition functions by the architect Gaetano Colleluori.

The Museum is housed in an Art Nouveau building belonging to the Paparella Treccia family, to whom we owe the creation of this collection, which originates from the passion of Professor Raffaele Mattarella Treccia and his wife Margherita.

The Pineta Dannunziana Regional Nature Reserve, established in 2000, covers 53 hectares in the southern part of the city of Pescara. It is a real "green lung" in an extensive urban context and one of the most densely populated in Italy and contains a remarkable variety of flora and fauna species, typical of the Mediterranean scrub.