Skip to main content
x

Teramo

Located 20 km from the Adriatic and close to the rocks of the Gran Sasso d'Italia (2912 m), Teramo, between the rivers Vezzosa and Tordino, is the capital of the province that occupies the northernmost territory of the Abruzzo region. The discovery of funerary furnishings, similar to those of the protohistoric tombs in Piceno, attest that the city was undoubtedly a pre-Roman settlement. Inhabited since prehistoric times, it was part of the Praetutium, the name of the Teramo territory when, having lost the Italian freedom, it had become Roman dominion and had latinized its toponym in Interamnia (Inter-amnes-urbs, city between the rivers). With the Romans Teramo experienced the period of greater prosperity. The construction of temples and baths, of the theater and of the amphitheater took place in that historical period of splendor. In the Middle Ages the city was subdued by the Lombards and was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 1234 Frederick II of Swabia divided the Kingdom of Sicily into Giustizierati and Teramo was annexed to that of Sulmona. At the end of the XIV century it passed under the Lordship of Acquaviva. It was then ruled by Francesco Sforza, then by Alfonso d'Aragona. It became Austrian dominion and, in 1798, it passed to the French to return to the Kingdom of Naples in 1815. In the center of the city there are testimonies of Interamnia Pretuzia, a Roman city: the theater and the amphitheater, and near some domus and the ruins of the baths. Of the amphitheater there are only sections of external walls, while some internal structures and arches of the external perimeter are visible in the theater. The only remnant of the Early Middle Ages of Teramo is the church of San Getulio, built in Byzantine times on a Roman temple. The cathedral of San Berardo, built near the Roman theater, was erected in 1158 by Guido II. Modified in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, it was subsequently affected by other works until it reached its current appearance. The façade is characterized by a fourteenth-century portal of Roman Diodato and a large rose window; in the back part stands the square bell tower. Inside, in front of the main altar there is the silver frontal, a magnificent work by Nicola da Guardiagrele, and the polyptych by Sant'Agostino (XV century) by the Venetian Jacobello del Fiore. But the visit to the city can not be neglected: the Civic Art Gallery, in the shady Villa Comunale, the portals of the old Palazzo Delfico, the Archaeological Museum, the 14th-century structures of the Episcopal Palace and the Loggia del Municipio, the Provincial Library "Melchiorre Delfico", the Church of San Domenico, the ancient S. Maria Aprutiensis Cathedral, erected in the Byzantine period, then became San Getulio and today Sant'Anna, the Church of San'Antonio (formerly San Francesco), Melatini's house, with quadrangular mullioned windows, the beautiful Art Nouveau buildings and, out of doors, the Church of Maria Santissima Delle Grazie, with the beautiful wooden statue of the Virgin (15th century) attributed to Silvestro dell'Aquila.
Teramo is a cultural and study center, and home to an important university.

Provincia: Teramo

CAP: 64100

Prefisso: 0861

Altitudine: 265

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.6611431, 13.6986639

The River Tordino was born at 2000 meters above sea level between the Gorzano Mountains (2458 meters asl) and Pelone (2259 meters asl), which belong to the Monti della Laga chain. It flows entirely in the territory of the province of Teramo and flows into the Adriatic Sea after a journey of about 50 kilometers.

The Pinacoteca Civica is housed in a neoclassical building located in the Villa Comunale. Already the seat of the Provincial Economic Society, it was then purchased by the Municipality and in 1930 adapted to house a Museum. Rebuilt in 1958 and 1979, it was finally renovated in 1996.

The building that houses the Civic Archaeological Museum is a container full of memory: from the church dedicated to St. Charles, in the early 1600s, to Palazzo del Tribunale in the second half of the nineteenth century.

Built at the beginning of the 2nd century AD and, according to the construction technique, it can be placed between the Trajan and the Hadrianic age. Until 1926, the amphitheater of Interamnia, remembered by local scholars since the Renaissance, was traditionally identified with the remains of the nearby theater. The few surviving structures of the amphitheater were partially recognized and exp

Teramo, the ancient Interamnia (interamnes: between rivers), has its roots in prehistory. Today it preserves several monumental testimonies of the ancient city in its heyday, when it became a Roman municipality. Already the walls of the Cathedral (XI-XV century), in Piazza Martiri della Libertà, show the Doric friezes of the first century.